Tuesday, June 3, 2008

LOST INNOCENCE, PROMS, HILTON HOTELS

Statutory Rape, Teen Sex, All Night Booze and Drugs, OK with Hilton Hotels
June 3rd 2008


I wanted to stay one more night at one of the best accommodations for the price I had ever experienced, a Hilton “Homewood Suites” on the border of LA and Ventura County.

I was told, “Sorry Mr. Pratt, our hotel is entirely booked up by Prom Night parties.”

“Say what?” I answered, somewhat astounded. (I’m not a prude, I’m a father.)

“We have two entire buildings reserved by High School Prom Night people. They have been calling all day asking, ‘Is it okay to come in at 1:00 am to 2:30 am?’”

I stared the young man down. “You are telling me, a businessman can’t extend his stay; get a room, because you are renting two entire buildings of the three out to teenagers and their dates?”

“Yes sir.”

I asked,” How do you do it? I mean we could have never gotten away with it in my time.” I meant legally.

“These are different times, Mr. Pratt.”

“They sure are,” I answered.

I didn’t sleep well at all May 31st. I couldn’t. I kept imagining the lies being told parents; something like “Mom, I’m staying over at Lisa’s after we get home from Disneyland.” Stuff like that. I kept thinking of the boys talking about “scoring” and getting the girls drunk. Now days it is also the girls talking the same about scoring and getting the boys stoned. I thought about the 18+ year-olds; (legally and supposedly adults) with 14-17 year-olds (supposedly girls) – “statutory rape.” It occurred to me that some parents knew and their credit cards probably charged for this "loss of innocence." I have no illusion to the number and quantity of pills, alcohol, condoms, and in the units, all with two beds per room and a pull out sofa-sleeper in the living room, what would be happening in the “multiples” of couples.

It all was too creepy. Sleep deprived, the "love story" writer could only think about NO “love” going on, just immature teen bodies flaying at each other to wake up the next day with hangovers, stories of glorifying rape, consensual teen copulation… ugh…

“How did I ever turn 55 with such thoughts NEVER occurring to me,” I asked a business associate. “You have an innocent heart, Jim.” (Nice compliment.)

“I love real love too much,” I mumbled to no one. I thought back to Simi Valley High School Prom Night 1971. Disneyland, the laughter, the fun, the all night temptations too... Sure I knew shacking up was going on here and there, but even the post “sex, drugs, and rock & roll” of Hippie Heaven days, 1970’s seems so innocent now.

So much for business trips. I’m staying home the rest of my life. And oh yeah, circulating my experience to Radio Talk Show producers and newspapers.


JMP www.jmpratt.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Jim. The end is near ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you James. My daughter is staying nowhere but home after her senior prom next year. These teens are going to look back at this time when they're parents and wonder why their parents didn't act like parents to them.

Good to see you blogging. I know you're busy. Aren't we all? We forget that time is life, and probably 80% of our time we're too busy to enjoy this life.

Blessings.

Larry