Sunday, August 16, 2009

ANGEL of ILFRACOMBE



A little over one year ago I went on a journey to discover the world of James Allen, the 1902 philosopher who wrote the multi-million selling classic, AS A MAN THINKETH. His fifty page book started me on a journey I enjoy today, when my mother gave it to me at age 19 with hopes I would internalize Allen's message. Thank God for good mothers.

Traveling alone, I discovered a world of wonder, and dreams, and innocence, I had only imagined in writing the novel, still in manuscript form that April 2008 day. I climbed Capstone, the hill overlooking Ilfracombe bay in Devon on the Southwest coast of England, at sunrise, and before me was a statue dedicated to the life and death of an innocent child. It was a spiritual moment as I realized the love two parents had for this child, taken so swiftly in a fall upon that hill; thoughts went to her flying away from the troubles of life and I realized how powerful mental imagery and thoughts are.

No lengthy message this week, just on "thought." James Allen climbed this hill before sunrise every day to meditate. Before the work day began he had already decided upon his actions, what he would think, how he would act, love, be. And his thoughts about becoming whatever we desire to be are still read by millions today. We become what we think about, and we can change thoughts at any time. We are really, as Allen put it, "...the sum of our thoughts."

THE BOOK: As a Man Thinketh...In His Heart coming in September for free at our new website: www.powerthink.com.

James Michael Pratt
www.jmpratt.com

1 comment:

Larry McGarr said...

James,

Thank you for the privilege of being able to read your manuscript before 'As a Man Thinketh...In His Heart' went to the publishers. I've bought and given copies of your book to several friends. Some have said that it is a life-changing book.

I think that what makes some things life changing while other things don't, is that we're not content with who we are and we're searching for change. Along comes something as powerful as 'As a Man Thinketh...In His Heart' or 'The Shack', and they just click. God puts these truths into our hands and it's up to us to allow this new way of looking at things to change our behavior. We've got to be humble enough to admit that we don't have exclusive rights to the truth and we need to be willing to allow our hearts to lead us where logic won't.

Thanks for putting your heart into your stories.

Blessings.